Writing A Dissertation Methodology Chapter: Simple Tips To Keep In Mind
Following are top 10 tips to write an effective dissertation methodology.
- Define and offer an explanation to your problem: This is the first step that offers clarity of the question in hand. It is basically literature review of the dissertation. By going through this the readers can have the recap of the central research questions.
- Approach: Write an overview of the approach you will require to carry primary part of the research and guide the reader in context of the methodology opted. Think for all the methodological aspects like rationale, justification, sampling of issues etc. This is an unambiguous signal for the reader that states that you have complete hands on the implications of the astute methodology opted.
- Reproducibility: You need to offer a detailed description of all the techniques employed in the dissertation citing its credibility and usefulness. Reproducibility is the hallmark of the scientific methods.
- Precedence: Consider if the research methodology opted by you is distinctive and is confined within your subject area. The review of your literature assists you in analyzing comparisons. The adoption of these techniques and processes provides the authority to the approach.
- Justification: Justification is necessary so that you can offer sound grounds for the opted methods. It offers reasons as in why you have chosen any particular method for your research. This feature is significant when you are trying to implement any new or non –standard methodology. However if you are employing odd approaches, you need to offer meticulous justifications for making comparisons.
- Rationale: You need to critically evaluate various alternative approaches and defend your methods explaining why the chosen method is a perfect one. When you weigh up all the pros and cons of various methods, think deliberately if they can be included in your own methodology.
- Reliability and validity: Whatever type of research you choose, you must explicitly analyze its reliability and validity aspects. Accuracy, sources of error, precision, statistical significance are some other aspects that needs to be taken care of.
- Sampling: Questions regarding sampling techniques should be paid special attention. The impact of size of the sample for statistical significance should be considered in the designing part.
- Appendix: The methodology chapter should be written in a clear and precise way while appending relevant material at the end of the dissertation. Have the copies of questionnaire and all the methodological materials on place while writing the appendix.
- Generalization: This is the section that addresses the question in a generalized way. Keep this issue in mind and then increase the persuasiveness of your final findings while designing the methodology.
Need help with thesis? Visit https://thesishelpers.com/ - thesis writing service.
One of the best free academic resource devoted to graduate thesis & dissertation writing.